Note: Two-factor authentication (2FA) is mandatory for Mason employees
to access the Cisco AnyConnect
USING 2FA WITH CISCO ANYCONNECT VPN
After you’ve enrolled in 2FA, then what happens? When you login on Cisco AnyConnect VPN you will use your enrolled device to confirm that it is you attempting to connect to Cisco AnyConnect VPN and not someone else.
When authenticating to the Cisco AnyConnect Client, Duo automatically determines the best approach to request the second factor for authentication based on your enrolled devices.
- If you have previously enrolled a device that enables push notifications (smartphone or tablet), Duo will send you a PUSH Notification requesting approval to the first such device listed in your account.
- If you do not have a device that uses Duo Push, you will receive a phone call requesting approval to the first phone number listed in your account.
- If you wish to use an alternate method, refer to the “How to Use Multiple Devices” section of the Advanced Features page.
If you need more information about Cisco AnyConnect VPN go to vpn.gmu.edu.
Authenticate with your Enrolled Device
- Open Cisco AnyConnect VPN on your computer.
- Type your VPN group URL and click connect.
- When asked for your login information type your Mason NetID and Patriot Pass Password and click OK.
- The device that you have enrolled will require you to approve the request.
- Note: Duo will attempt to contact you 6 times if you do not respond
- Are you using a Smartphone/Tablet or Mobile/Landline phone?
- Your device will notify you of a Duo Mobile App request or you'll need to open the App. (Note: Verify on your phone that notifications are turned on for the Duo Mobile App)
- You will be asked to approve or deny the authentication request.
- Tap approve on your device to complete the authentication request.
- Mobile/Landline Phone
- Your mobile phone or landline phone will ring.
- Follow the phone prompts to authenticate.
- You will then be logged into Cisco AnyConnect VPN.